Islamic Feminism and Its Role in Cinema

Main Project: ISLAMIC FEMINISM AND ITS ROLE IN CINEMA
PhD Project: THE PORTRAYAL OF THE HISTORICAL MUSLIM FEMALE ON SCREEN

Doc Shah representing UNBLINKERED MEDIA


The Doc Shah isn’t from another planet. I don’t have super strength, I can’t outrun bullets or fly but with unclipped wings, my inner Lois Lane gumshoe attitude combined with the photo-journalism skills of Peter Parker, lie in pursuit of being an ambitious video-journalist, and audio-visual artist covering themes of race, class, gender, culture and the arts, reflective of a multi-cultural and faceted society. My past may appear to be one of privilege found within the academic echelons of history and screen studies. If the truth be known, I’m mixed raced from a working-class background. The story does not stop there for it embodies the progress and human struggles within a cycle of advances and setbacks. Yet, my background, vicarious PhD title and growing body of work aim to create a transferable and informed off-brand perspective on human stories and the surrounding world considerate of a diverse audience. I continue to document and engage with the arts via a blog, whilst contributing to academic publications and social media pages. Within this realm, I’ve vlogged film and book reviews and participated with radio and theatre plays. My involvement with the arts scene has fostered content for fanzines, the music press, screenings, DVDs and radio appearances. Within global communities, I’ve produced content for Non-profit organisations based in Sri Lanka and Afghanistan. These experiences have whetted my appetite to document stories be it for knowledge, truth or entertainment and develop both my writing and audio-visual skills with an aim to learn from and be of service to the public.